Friday, August 27, 2010

Lucky.

I'm feeling pretty lucky right now. Something kinda ugly (like this lil' guy) became something beautiful.























After a bout with advanced encephalitis from mononeucleosis, my lil' lil' bro, Caleb, is alive and well. We were pretty scared for a while though. The doctors were scared too. The one other patient the neurologist had treated with this condition died. Yikes.

So after this week of long, beep-filled nights, fluorescent lights, long drives, and even longer waits for answers, Caleb is coming home. All the commotion has settled down, bringing the walls to my emotions down with it. Seeing images of him posted on Facebook made my eyes well up. "I almost lost him," I thought. "I could be looking at this image as holding someone who I can no longer physically hold in my arms." More yikes.

The beauty in this fungus of a situation is the renewed appreciation I have for life, the hypersensitivity to just how precious my family is to me, and the heightened awareness of how little time there is to waste (which would be none). I'm also grateful for the stronger bond I've formed with not only my family, but also the people around me who gave so much love and support. And as it relates to my work, I feel more empowered to put my ideas (and ideals) into practice. I feel a manifesto arising...

No comments:

Post a Comment